Tuesday 18 December 2007


The Journey
The trip starts in your immagination. Can I start thinking about it? Where are the horses with a single horn on their forehead? Should I go there or follow the wind wherever it takes me? There is a village in the middle of somewhere where I went several times before but I don't know where it is. Start preparing the bag, is it cold there? should I take a pair of heavy boots or the light sandals I bought last summer?
The fantasies take hold of my immagination and find me reclining on a carpet of straws waiting for the tiger to come to the water hole.
Or was it a lion ? It comes very near and the camera is ready, I wish the sun were just a bit more to the left, now the nose and the eyes are in the lght and the camera seems to operate by itself, what if he thinks that i'm dangerous? Too late to think, the camera shoots, the beast hears its clicks, what shall I do ? No need to worry, the tiger is gone , but I have the picture.
The plains that will be in front of me are vast. no hills as horison no forest as a dark contour, only light yellow and white with some dots where the bushes grow.
Th car is stuck somewhere in the middle of the white pan, the main road is somewhere to the north east, a solitary figure approches and he has a snake wrapped on hir arms, does he know tjhat I do not need the snake. Do you want some milk? no he drinks only earl gray tea.
We are at the gate of this village, the fence is around six large huts, spiked branches of trees make a strong barrier against the lion's thirst or hunger. Three men and a woman are standing chatting just inside the compound . We yell and call them. They ignore us and we cannot enter the village.
The preparation is frantic now. the booking of the flights take time and money, leaving from Rome on the 24th December, Christmas in Johannesburg, The Birchwood Hotel will give us a warm welcome, so

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Good Start Luigi Go on

Pamwd said...

Caio Maria & Luigi
I bet you are glad that Jeremy cancelled the Mozambique trip in view of the floods now raging. The rain must have been worse than that you missed in Malawi and Zambia last year. Surely tigers are in a different continent! Hope you are still having fun. I'm off to Oz in ten days time. Will catch up with you when I return later on
Pam

Honeymoon bed breakfast said...

The unique and memorable safaris to Africa offer views of towering dunes, dramatic mountain ranges, pristine beaches, and vast tracks of open plains. Go on African safaris and see the amazing wildlife and beautiful scenery on safari.

An African safari is the ultimate destination for honeymooners, wildlife enthusiasts, photographers, there is something for everyone. Let us make your African safari an experience you will never forget!